[blfs-dev] Nitpick with Shadow Package

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Tue Dec 31 10:46:24 PST 2013

On Tue, Dec 31, 2013 at 12:17:42PM -0600, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> Armin K. wrote:
> > On 12/31/2013 06:58 PM, Randy McMurchy wrote:
> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> Looking at the BLFS Shadow package instructions, there is a command
> >> and descriptive text for disabling the Korean and Chinese man pages.
> >> However, this is not done in LFS. Seems the two books would be
> >> consistent as far as which man pages are installed.
> >>
> >> Thoughts?
> >>

> > I believe that LFS had some note for man-db that it couldn't properly
> > display man pages in some languages, but that was fixed some time ago.
>
> I'm not sure how to check.  I tried:
>
> $ LANG=ko man chfn
> man: can't set the locale; make sure $LC_* and $LANG are correct
>
> but it did display the English page.  We do have the ko, zh_CN, and
> zh_TW pages installed.  I also see that nmap installs a zh page.
>
>    -- Bruce

 From some quick tests (in urxvt on a 'buntu "desktop" on my
netbook, using ssh to get to my 7.4 server) I can display the shadow
pages I tried for the ja_JP, ko_KR, zh_CN, zh_TW locales : but only
if I specify LC_ALL=ja_JP.UTF-8 : omitting the .UTF-8 gave me
gibberish.

 This also requires the locales, of course, and suitable fonts.

 Arguably, LFS is out of date - but very few LFS users seem to care
about CJK text.

 There is, of course, no way to display CJK in a regular tty (far
too many potential glyphs).  But from any desktop term which is
correctly set up and has a suitable font you can display them using
the form 'man /usr/share/man/ja/man1/su.1' and the same if you
replace 'ja' by 'ko', 'zh_CN' or 'zh_TW'.  Unfortunately, many of
the other pages are not present in all four of these CJK locales.

ĸen