[blfs-dev] Nitpick with Shadow Package

Pierre Labastie pierre.labastie at neuf.fr
Tue Dec 31 10:42:41 PST 2013

Le 31/12/2013 19:17, Bruce Dubbs a écrit :
> Armin K. wrote:
>> On 12/31/2013 06:58 PM, Randy McMurchy wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> Looking at the BLFS Shadow package instructions, there is a command
>>> and descriptive text for disabling the Korean and Chinese man pages.
>>> However, this is not done in LFS. Seems the two books would be
>>> consistent as far as which man pages are installed.
>>>
>>> Thoughts?
>>>

>> I believe that LFS had some note for man-db that it couldn't properly
>> display man pages in some languages, but that was fixed some time ago.
>
> I'm not sure how to check.  I tried:
>
> $ LANG=ko man chfn
> man: can't set the locale; make sure $LC_* and $LANG are correct
>
> but it did display the English page.  We do have the ko, zh_CN, and
> zh_TW pages installed.  I also see that nmap installs a zh page.
>
>    -- Bruce

maybe you need some "localedef" command. If you have only what is on glibc
page, you do not have localedef for ko. There is zh_CN, though.

Tried:
LANG=zh_CN.GB18030 man chfn

and got a bunch of question marks (well, I do not have the right font
installed), followed by a text in English.

Well, tried too:
LANG=zh_CN.GB18030 man useradd

gives many more question marks...

Pierre