[blfs-dev] about subversion layout

Thomas Trepl thomas at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Dec 28 13:57:18 PST 2013

Am Samstag, 28. Dezember 2013, 12:25:02 schrieb Pierre Labastie:
> Le 28/12/2013 12:10, Fernando de Oliveira a écrit :

> >> Thanks, Pirre and Bruce,
> >>
> >> I will do it tomorrow. I am done for today.
> >
> > Sorry, Pierre, above, s/Pirre/Pierre.
> >
> > Please, consider s/I am done for today/I need to stop now/, I think is
> > more polite.
> >
> > Fixed at r12465.
>
> It looks great. I did not know that <command> tags could be put inside
> <screen> tags.
>
> > I have kept the "screen" tags out of the tests.
>
> I understand that it is like that in the template.
>
> > Bruce, I noticed that the subversion page in BLFS-7.4 need to be
> > corrected, to include in the errata, something like:
> >
> > Replace
> >
> > make swig-py &&
> >
> > by
> >
> > make swig-py swig_pydir=/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/libsvn \
> >
> >      swig_pydir_extra=/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/svn &&
>
> I think I can take care of that.
>
> Regards
> Pierre

Hi all,

I'm not really sure what this discussion is about (which means I'm not sure if
I got it right) but it sound like having trouble with optical appearance of
some sections. I'd like to add some thoughts.

If I don't totally misinterpreted the thread, its about how to format command
which are optional or only required under certain conditions. In this case its
about python and/or {perl,python,ruby}.

I'd like to have those commands formatted (optically) as all the other
commands ar formatted as well. That means <screen><userinput>...

To take care about the difference from required commands to optional one, the
descriptive text should explain what and why the command is optional. But if
it is relevant to the user, than the command should be typed exactly as it is
shown. That is how the <screen><userinput>-areas are described in the
introduction to the BLFS book.

There are a lot of packages in the book where optional commands are shown in
the (optically) same way as the required one. See polkit, for example. You can
build the whole system with or without PAM. In the polkit page, there are
command which are only meaningful when PAM is installed/used. Nevertheless,
the creation of the /etc/pam.d/polkit-1 file is shown in a <screen><userinput>-
format, just as the other commands are, too. The descriptive text is what
makes the difference.

So i think every command that shows the user how things are done should be
<screen><userinput>-formatted. But it is also important to describe the fact
that some my be optional and if so, under which conditions. Only commands
referenced in a descriptive text sections may be formatted as <command>, but
my understanding is that those texts need not to be fully complete as they may
be used as pointers like "When specifing XY in the <command>configure</command>
above, then ..." The text embedded in the command-tags is never meant to be
copy-pasted.

BLFS does not tell the reader step by step what is needed to be done as LFS
does. There are too many alternatives beyond LFS. With the learnings from LFS,
the reader of the BLFS book should know by {her,him}self whether ruby is
installed and therefore the commands to create the svn-ruby bindings are
relevant for {her,him} or not. The descriptive text should give good hints for
this decision.

So, finally I think the decision is right to put the commands at least in a
<screen>-section.

Just my 2ct ;-)

--
Thomas

Btw, I'm impressed by the performance especially Pierre, Fernando and Igor are
showing. The book seems to catch up to the bleeding edge and keeps being there
;-)  Thanks for this work!
I'm just on the way to compile KDE-4.12.0 (on a completely DESTDIR-installed
system) but I'm sure some of you will be faster to have results...