[blfs-dev] [lfs-book] r10418 - branches/systemd/BOOK/chapter06

Armin K. krejzi at email.com
Fri Dec 27 19:44:51 PST 2013

On 12/28/2013 04:35 AM, Nathan Coulson wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 27, 2013 at 9:29 AM, Armin K. <krejzi at email.com> wrote:
>> On 12/27/2013 06:26 PM, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
>>>
>>> OK.  For trunk, I really don't see a problem keeping the symlinks for
>>> convenience.
>>>
>>>    -- Bruce
>>
>> I'm strict to following standards when it comes to them, so that's why I
>> am doing (unnecessary) modifications :P
>>

> I consider the /usr/man to /usr/share/man to be a compatibility
> symlink from an old location to a new location.  But I would prefer to
> see packages target the preferred locations (where it makes sense
> [simple, and can possibly be submitted upsteam]) instead of working
> because we have the symlink in place.
>
> (Just adding my $0.02, I've lived with /usr/info and /usr/man for the
> last decade.  I suppose I can live with it a little longer)

My long term idea is to get rid of the symlinks entirely. More than 90%
of BLFS installs info and manual pages to correct locations, and every
package that can utilize modern autotools or cmake already installs info
and man pages at the correct location. I am closing on remaining few
packages which haven't been updated in years (like current bc, which has
been released in 2006) and applying overrides to them.

So far I'm 100% sure that chapters 22-37 require no overrides and all
packages there install manual pages to correct locations. chapters 45
and 46 do require some minor corrections and I'll submit them when I
finish building more packages. I have not checked all packges from other
chapters, but I have checked more than 70% of them and I remember
finding only few (less than 5 I believe) which install manual and/or
info pages to the "wrong" location.

--
Note: My last name is not Krejzi.