[blfs-dev] Subversion update for swig

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Wed Dec 18 09:38:43 PST 2013

Armin K. wrote:
> On 12/18/2013 06:16 PM, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
>> Armin K. wrote:

>>> Perl bindings are required for git-svn.
>>
>> Let's discuss that a little more.  I haven't used git-svn, but I have
>> used both git and svn.  How is git-svn useful?
>>
>> The man page says:
>>
>> git svn is a simple conduit for changesets between Subversion and git.
>> It provides a bidirectional flow of changes between a Subversion and a
>> git repository.
>>
>> git svn can track a standard Subversion repository, following the common
>> "trunk/branches/tags" layout, with the --stdlayout option. It can also
>> follow branches and tags in any layout with the -T/-t/-b options (see
>> options to init below, and also the clone command).
>>
>> Once tracking a Subversion repository (with any of the above methods),
>> the git repository can be updated from Subversion by the fetch command
>> and Subversion updated from git by the dcommit command.
>> ---
>>
>> The best reason I can come up with is that a user may want to only use
>> one VCS client instead of two.

> It's required to migrate svn repos to git, for one. Also, it can be used
> to commit to svn repositories using git (for those not so svn friendly).

OK, I agree that it is useful in what appears to be limited situations.
  The migrating issue would only need to be once.  The other would be
for convenience for users that don't want to use svn syntax.

It still seems to me that the bindings should be optional rather than
recommended.  Why not:

Optional:  SWIG-2.0.11 (for building Perl, Python and optionally Ruby
bindings.  Perl bindings are needed for svn-git.)