[blfs-dev] Subversion update for swig

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Wed Dec 18 09:16:34 PST 2013

Armin K. wrote:
> On 12/18/2013 05:12 PM, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
>> Pierre Labastie wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I've ended with the attached patch. I do not want to commit yet, because I
>>> feel like I butchered Fernando's work, and I'd like him to agree. What it
>>> mainly does:
>>> Move swig and python to recommended, so that default instructions build Perl
>>> and Python bindings.
>>
>> I'm curious why you recommend building the bindings.  I haven't run into
>> any need for them.  Are they useful for the client or just the server?

> Perl bindings are required for git-svn.

Let's discuss that a little more.  I haven't used git-svn, but I have
used both git and svn.  How is git-svn useful?

The man page says:

git svn is a simple conduit for changesets between Subversion and git.
It provides a bidirectional flow of changes between a Subversion and a
git repository.

git svn can track a standard Subversion repository, following the common
"trunk/branches/tags" layout, with the --stdlayout option. It can also
follow branches and tags in any layout with the -T/-t/-b options (see
options to init below, and also the clone command).

Once tracking a Subversion repository (with any of the above methods),
the git repository can be updated from Subversion by the fetch command
and Subversion updated from git by the dcommit command.
---

The best reason I can come up with is that a user may want to only use
one VCS client instead of two.