[blfs-dev] Mozilla Builds

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Fri Dec 6 14:37:12 PST 2013

Ken Moffat wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 06, 2013 at 03:38:08PM -0600, Dan McGhee wrote:
>> That's why I tried re-compiling my kernel for SMP.  Right now I get only
>> CPU0 out of four.  But I haven't been able to get an SMP kernel to boot
>> and nearly gorked my whole build so far because the names of the modules
>> apparently get prefixed with SMP and my "old" kernel can't find them--at
>> least that's what I think I saw when the messages went screaming by when
>> I tried to boot my "old" kernel.  Oh well, another project.
>
>   The modules do not get prefixed with SMP on my SMP machines.
>
>   What might be happening is that you haven't added an EXTRAVERSION,
> so 'make modules_install' first deletes the existing modules and
> then installs the new (SMP) modules which will not load with a
> uniprocessor kernel.
>
>   To be honest, until you can get an SMP kernel to boot, everything
> else will be a waste of your time on a _build_ machine.
>
>   O/T for this list, but save your non-smp config, then copy it to
> .config and in menuconfig ONLY change it to build for SMP.  All the
> other things mentioned in the last couple of days for .config are
> just details which might improve it (but might not).
>
>   A fresh kernel build on a single modern CPU is probably less than
> 20 minutes.
>
>   OTOH, if you NEED to rebuild the UP kernel because some modules are
> _required_, do that first using the UP config followed by
> modules_install (at that point you can use the modules without
> rebooting) and then add an EXTRAVERSION and build an SMP kernel.

I agree with Ken, but would add that we recommend not using modules at
all, or at least minimize them.  On my 3.11.4 kernel I only have:

/lib/modules/3.11.4-LFS-7.4/kernel/arch/x86/kvm/kvm-amd.ko
/lib/modules/3.11.4-LFS-7.4/kernel/fs/cramfs/cramfs.ko
/lib/modules/3.11.4-LFS-7.4/kernel/drivers/scsi/scsi_debug.ko
/lib/modules/3.11.4-LFS-7.4/kernel/drivers/mfd/mfd-core.ko
/lib/modules/3.11.4-LFS-7.4/kernel/drivers/mfd/lpc_sch.ko

None are really required and none are loaded right now.

On my 3.11.2 kernel, the only modules I have are for vmware.

On my older 3.4.1 kernel the only modules are for nvidia and one for
scsi_wait_scan that I couldn't quite figure out how to remove.  It
doesn't load.

>   I don't think you can build SeaMonkey from firefox releases.
> SeaMonkey is based on an older firefox/mozilla version.  Anyway,
> I thought SeaMonkey could include the mail client, in which case
> thunderbird would be redundant ?

Correct.