[blfs-dev] Mozilla Builds

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Fri Dec 6 14:17:13 PST 2013

On Fri, Dec 06, 2013 at 03:38:08PM -0600, Dan McGhee wrote:
> That's why I tried re-compiling my kernel for SMP.  Right now I get only
> CPU0 out of four.  But I haven't been able to get an SMP kernel to boot
> and nearly gorked my whole build so far because the names of the modules
> apparently get prefixed with SMP and my "old" kernel can't find them--at
> least that's what I think I saw when the messages went screaming by when
> I tried to boot my "old" kernel.  Oh well, another project.

 The modules do not get prefixed with SMP on my SMP machines.

 What might be happening is that you haven't added an EXTRAVERSION,
so 'make modules_install' first deletes the existing modules and
then installs the new (SMP) modules which will not load with a
uniprocessor kernel.

 To be honest, until you can get an SMP kernel to boot, everything
else will be a waste of your time on a _build_ machine.

 O/T for this list, but save your non-smp config, then copy it to
.config and in menuconfig ONLY change it to build for SMP.  All the
other things mentioned in the last couple of days for .config are
just details which might improve it (but might not).

 A fresh kernel build on a single modern CPU is probably less than
20 minutes.

 OTOH, if you NEED to rebuild the UP kernel because some modules are
_required_, do that first using the UP config followed by
modules_install (at that point you can use the modules without
rebooting) and then add an EXTRAVERSION and build an SMP kernel.

> Right now, with no actual experience and only logic (and reasonable
> logic I hope), I figure that since you can build any combination of
> SeaMonkey, Firefox, Thunderbird and Xulrunner from one source release,
> Thunderbird should be able to compile just like Firefox.  I know that I
> will get Thunderbird 25.0.1 instead of the version in the book, but I'll
> see what happens.

 I don't think you can build SeaMonkey from firefox releases.
SeaMonkey is based on an older firefox/mozilla version.  Anyway,
I thought SeaMonkey could include the mail client, in which case
thunderbird would be redundant ?

ĸen