[blfs-dev] Mozilla Builds

Dan McGhee beesnees at grm.net
Fri Dec 6 12:03:24 PST 2013

On 12/06/2013 01:09 PM, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> Dan McGhee wrote:
>
>> Is it possible to satisfy those
>> desires by having only one "Mozilla" section?  Then all or one could be
>> built.  Oh, I forgot, that includes SeaMonkey too--and the calendar
>> whose name I have forgotten.
> The mozilla apps can be divided up in a number of ways.  I do use
> seamonkey, so why would I want to build FF or TB?  (Actually I do build
> them for the book's purposes).  The only reason I can see to build
> Xulrunner is to save a little time if building both FF and TB, but that
> runs into issues if trying to upgrade one and not the other.
Yes, precisely. If I correctly do my math in my head there are 43
combinations of those minus all combinations involving SeaMonkey--unless
someone builds for the book. :) And I agree with the maintenance
statement--especially since Mozilla does nightly builds--now, Dan let's
not go over board.
>> As soon as Xulrunner finishes cooking and I get a Firefox build up and
>> running, I'm going to try the Thunderbird thing.  I need to recompile it
>> anyway because I didn't build it against a system NSS.
> Any input is appreciated, but whether it makes it into the book would be
> a matter for more discussion.  There are multiple ways to accomplish a
> task in a lot of cases.  Whether a new method provides enough additional
> benefits needs to be evaluated against both the utility and the
> maintenance effort.
>
>     -- Bruce

I'm not suggesting any changes to the book. I was asking a question. And
you're right about the time savings. I like FF and TB, but if I could
get it done in one 50+ SBU build, that would be great. And I sure do
appreciate "work-benefit" analyses.

And I will present my results for use in any way. I need to finish my
UEFI write up for LFS first, but needed to get both e-mail and browser
working in the same partition for convenience sake.

Dan