[blfs-dev] Some build times

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Thu Aug 29 09:44:36 PDT 2013

On Thu, Aug 29, 2013 at 04:11:16PM +0000, John Burrell wrote:

> >> Package unpack build build
> >> (s) (s) (hrs)
> >>
> >> llvm 8 4387 1.22
> >> qt4 7 7443 2.07
> >> webkitgtk2 1 10877 3.02
> >> firefox 23 10033 2.79
> >> xulrunner 24 10477 2.91
> >> libreoffice 12 14821 4.12
> >> openjdk 229 6435 1.79
> >>
> >> The unpack time for openjdk includes the download time for icedtea, etc (8 packages).
> >>
> >> Two years ago I could go from disk partition to a Gnome desktop in 16 hrs.
> >>
> >> It's now taking nearly 18 hrs to build these 7 packages. This can
> >> probably be reduced a little by optimizing the use of the cores, but
> >> even so if you intend to continue building Linux from source, make
> >> sure you get a hobby to pursue while you're waiting.
> >
> > Reformatted it for you.
> >
> Yes it looked a bit of a mess, didn't it. Thanks for doing that.
>
> jb.

 You are building with make -j 1 ?  I don't build all of those
packages, but on my Intel i3-2120 (SandyBridge, low-end) with make
-j4 I get:
firefox (without xulrunner) 3130 seconds
qt 2413 seconds
but libreoffice 15269 seconds (not as full a build as I had intended,
"only" 55 languages - I missed a few)  I guess you are only doing an
English build :)

 Also, your firefox build looks as if something is wrong in your
mozconfig - with xulrunner already built, firefox should only take a
few minutes, even with make -j 1.  There was a similar issue noted a
few months ago, and I then hit it.  ISTR it was to do with our old
method of NOT quoting EOF when creating mozconfig, together with
some variable escapes.  Or perhaps you didn't uncomment the lines to
use system libxul.

 But yes, it gets slower with every new toolchain version, and many
desktop upgrades bring in extra dependencies.

ĸen