[blfs-dev] glibc errors in blfs packages on i686

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Wed Aug 28 19:43:07 PDT 2013

On Wed, Aug 28, 2013 at 07:17:07PM -0500, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> Fernando and I have been having a discussion about some errors that have
> come up on the i686.  The initial indications were a seg fault when
> running javac.  Even doing a simple 'javac -version' was demonstrating
> the problem.
>
> Upon doing some research, we found that a change upstream in glibc was
> causing it.  It really is not 100% clear if it is fundamentally a glibc
> or a gcc problem, but a relatively simple fix appears to correct the
> problem.
>
> The problem was involved with the __strstr_sse42 function in glibc and
> reports showed crashes with the plasma desktop, kdm, glxgears, among others.

 On my i686 build with the ati video driver, glxgears is fine.

> http://sourceware.org/ml/libc-alpha/2013-08/msg00257.html

 Reading the responses, intel was among the systems which had
failures - my intel box is 64-bit only.  Reading a bit further,
misalignment between older and current gcc versions gets a mention:
https://sourceware.org/ml/libc-alpha/2013-08/msg00291.html

> In the glibc build procedures, a simple sed to the glibc code seems to
> fix the problem:
>
> sed -i -e 's/static __m128i/inline &/' sysdeps/x86_64/multiarch/strstr.c
>
> I am proposing that we add this to both Chapter 5 and Chapter 6 of LFS.
>   I'm not sure if we need to do an -rc2 or not.
>
>    -- Bruce

 Does that also alter x86_64 builds, or are you going to wrap it ?

 I note that it isn't claimed to _fix_ the problem, just work around
it for current versions.

ĸen