[blfs-dev] glibc errors in blfs packages on i686

Fernando de Oliveira famobr at yahoo.com.br
Wed Aug 28 19:01:07 PDT 2013

Em 28-08-2013 21:17, Bruce Dubbs escreveu:
> Fernando and I have been having a discussion about some errors that have
> come up on the i686.  The initial indications were a seg fault when
> running javac.  Even doing a simple 'javac -version' was demonstrating
> the problem.
>
> Upon doing some research, we found that a change upstream in glibc was
> causing it.  It really is not 100% clear if it is fundamentally a glibc
> or a gcc problem, but a relatively simple fix appears to correct the
> problem.
>
> The problem was involved with the __strstr_sse42 function in glibc and
> reports showed crashes with the plasma desktop, kdm, glxgears, among others.
>
> http://sourceware.org/ml/libc-alpha/2013-08/msg00257.html
>
> In the glibc build procedures, a simple sed to the glibc code seems to
> fix the problem:
>
> sed -i -e 's/static __m128i/inline &/' sysdeps/x86_64/multiarch/strstr.c
>
> I am proposing that we add this to both Chapter 5 and Chapter 6 of LFS.
>   I'm not sure if we need to do an -rc2 or not.
>
>    -- Bruce

Bruce, just replacing /lib/libc-2.18.so did no allow the machine to
reboot. I am a little too tired to go on now, could do wrong things.
Tomorrow morning, will backup and then try a complete replacement of
glibc, and the report back.

If you have the LFS book modified by tomorrow, I will test it tomorrow, too.

--
[]s,
Fernando