[blfs-dev] libvdpau

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Wed Aug 28 18:30:31 PDT 2013

We recently added the libvdpau driver for GPU aided HW acceleration.  It
builds fine and other applications link to it appropriately.  However,
when running something like MPlayer that uses it, I get a message:

Failed to open VDPAU backend libvdpau_nvidia.so: cannot open shared
object file: No such file or directory
[vdpau] Error when calling vdp_device_create_x11: 1

My searches seemed to indicate that the libvdpau_nvidia.so library is
loaded with the nvidia proprietary drivers.  I also found the comment:

Nvidia devs recommend packagers to separate libvdpau from the
proprietary nvidia kernel and driver installers as vdpau will we removed
"real soon now"

but that comment is about a year old.

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/fresh-installation-of-slackware-14-rc2-libvdpau_nvidia-so-not-built-4175423181/

I also found:

http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/xorg-announce/2009-September/001036.html

where it says: To actually use a VDPAU device, you need
a vendor-specific implementation library.  Currently, this is always
libvdpau_nvidia.  You can override the driver name by setting the
VDPAU_DRIVER environment variable.

My video is "NVIDIA Corporation NV37GL [Quadro PCI-E Series]", but it
does noot seem that libvdpau is doing anything for me.  Should this be
removed from the book?  Or, perhaps a note saying it is only useful in
conjunction with the proprietary nvidia drivers?