[blfs-dev] glibc errors in blfs packages on i686

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Wed Aug 28 17:17:07 PDT 2013


Fernando and I have been having a discussion about some errors that have 
come up on the i686.  The initial indications were a seg fault when 
running javac.  Even doing a simple 'javac -version' was demonstrating 
the problem.

Upon doing some research, we found that a change upstream in glibc was 
causing it.  It really is not 100% clear if it is fundamentally a glibc 
or a gcc problem, but a relatively simple fix appears to correct the 
problem.

The problem was involved with the __strstr_sse42 function in glibc and 
reports showed crashes with the plasma desktop, kdm, glxgears, among others.

http://sourceware.org/ml/libc-alpha/2013-08/msg00257.html

In the glibc build procedures, a simple sed to the glibc code seems to 
fix the problem:

sed -i -e 's/static __m128i/inline &/' sysdeps/x86_64/multiarch/strstr.c

I am proposing that we add this to both Chapter 5 and Chapter 6 of LFS. 
  I'm not sure if we need to do an -rc2 or not.

   -- Bruce



More information about the blfs-dev mailing list