[blfs-dev] lvm2

Fernando de Oliveira famobr at yahoo.com.br
Mon Aug 26 19:49:04 PDT 2013

Em 26-08-2013 23:20, Bruce Dubbs escreveu:
> David Brodie wrote:
>> On 23/08/13 02:56, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
>>> I am trying to update lvm2 and am running into a bit of trouble with the
>>> tests.  The configure and make complete with out issue.  I did a make
>>> install to a DESTDIR and that was OK too.
>>>
>>> The problem is 'make check'.  If I run as a normal user, all the tests
>>> fail with what looks like permission problems.  If I run the tests as
>>> root, the first test, normal:api/lvtest.sh just hangs waiting for something.
>>>
>>> I went back and tried the current version and got the same thing.  The
>>> kernel does have RAID/LVM and Device Mapper Support.
>>>
>>> Any ideas?
>>>
>>>      -- Bruce
>>>

>> On 23/08/13 02:56, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
>>   > I am trying to update lvm2 and am running into a bit of trouble with the
>>   > tests.  The configure and make complete with out issue.  I did a make
>>   > install to a DESTDIR and that was OK too.
>>   >
>>   > The problem is 'make check'.  If I run as a normal user, all the tests
>>   > fail with what looks like permission problems.  If I run the tests as
>>   > root, the first test, normal:api/lvtest.sh just hangs waiting for
>> something.
>>   >
>>   > I went back and tried the current version and got the same thing.  The
>>   > kernel does have RAID/LVM and Device Mapper Support.
>>
>> I've partially succeeded running a 'sudo make check', but the procedure
>> hangs on the test, 'shell/lvconvert-raid.sh'
>>
>> Running the test with verbose output:
>>
>> PATH=$PATH:/sbin sudo make check T=lvconvert-raid VERBOSE=1
>>
>> the test hangs on the line:
>>
>> lvcreate --type raid4 -i 3 -l 3 -n LV1 @PREFIX at vg
>>
>> after which any subsequent lvm command hangs, until I reboot the system.
>>
>> This happens for both 2.02.98 and 2.02.100 versions.
>>
>> (I've also been unable to get lvcreate --type raid4 working outside the
>> test)
>>
>> This is with the default LFS 7.3 kernel: 3.8.1 and 3.8.1 kernel headers,
>> with crypt, snapshot, mirror and raid device-mapper targets. The tests
>> completely fail with a 3.9.7 kernel, with errors such as "Snapshot
>> target support missing from kernel" (lib/activate/dev_manager.c:2243 in
>> 2.02.100).
>>
>> Can you run a simple lvcreate from the command-line? If so, then perhaps
>> there is a problem with the loop device setup (losetup from
>> utils-linux), which I believe the tests use?
>>
>> Hope that helps.
>
> Well, I used your input but I still couldn't get the tests to run.  They
> keep hanging on me, starting with the very first test.  I tried
> instrumenting the tests to see where it was failing, but that was
> inconclusive.
>
> What I did do was install lvm2 without the checks.  I then created two
> new partitions and was able to run pv{create,remove,display},
> vg{create,scan,display}, and lv{create,display,scan,extend).

> [...]

The machine is the non-java LFS-7.4-rc1, i686. There it is LVM2.2.02.100
that I installed, previous was not anymore at the address in the book. I
did not try to investigate more, due to the other problems I have now
with java. and having to do a new build.

I can run the tests. up to a point. many passed many more skipped, many
fails, then an error. I have the log, but I am running again, to try a
LC_ALL=C log. Some parts take very long. I was will send it, when
finished. Complete log xz-compressed is over 52KB. I am producing an
isolated test log.

--
[]s,
Fernando