[blfs-dev] Recent commits and my resignation

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Sun Aug 25 02:52:57 PDT 2013

On 08/23/2013 09:22:36 PM, Armin K. wrote:
> On 08/24/2013 03:33 AM, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> > Armin K. wrote:
> Please, remove my accounts from anduin, higgs and quantum servers as
> well from LFS and BLFS trac (both Krejzi), or if remove isn't
> possible,
> remove my privileges.
>
> I am serious, there is no going back now.

Well flounced.

So if there's a vacuum, I note that I'm finally updating my old
automated LFS 6.8 build to 7.4-rc1, and once I've got that I'd like to
automate the corresponding BLFS release. (I automated 80 or so BLFS
packages before, but that was for an employer and got left behind when
the contract ended.)

This is building Linux From Scratch on top of an arbitrary host
environment, and I'm testing it using the aboriginal linux base system
for several different targets qemu supports (building natively on each
target under an emulated build environment). It's slow, but not _that_
slow on modern hardware and I've got distcc set up calling out to the
cross compiler on the host to speed it up a little and take advantage
of SMP.

The potential advantage of this for BLFS is regression testing: you can
plug in a new package and see what effect it has on all the others.

What I don't currently have is a way to parse the docbook and generate
automated builds from that. I'm currently doing it by hand. If the
instructions are regular enough that a machine can be programmed to
follow them, it would probably be a good idea to do that.

Is there anything currently available along these lines before I go
reinvent the wheel?

Rob