[blfs-dev] systemd and GNOME was: Re: Planning ahead

Armin K. krejzi at email.com
Sun Aug 18 16:33:53 PDT 2013

On 19.8.2013 3:03, Esben Stien wrote:
> "Armin K." <krejzi at email.com> writes:
>
>> If you are able to make GNOME work without systemd, please post how you
>> did it and I'll restore GNOME to the book. It's only true that power
>> management won't work correctly without systemd.
>
> Well, gnome-3.8 runs totally fine without systemd. I haven't done
> anything except compiling the standard tarballs.
>
> I haven't tested anything with power management, cause I really don't
> care about it. I'm from Norway, we got waterfalls and shit.
>
> Anyways, I haven't tested GDM, but GDM is not really GNOME, either.
>
> So this is the reason the whole of GNOME was removed from the BLFS book;
> because we're lacking power management and GDM?.

GDM is core GNOME package. Power management is important for laptops
which I own. Also, do administrative tasks work (ie, those requiring
polkit authentication and such)?

As for the "Why did I remove it", it was mostly because I was unable to
make it work fine with "standard" setup, since I am systemd user and I
didn't want to build another system for testing the setup I am not
interested in maintaining. I don't think anyone else wanted to step in
(I think I asked that) so I just went ahead and removed it.

Of course, there was a plan for systemd book, but I didn't just had the
time for it.