[blfs-dev] [blfs-book] r11616 - trunk/BOOK/x/lib

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Sun Aug 11 19:21:47 PDT 2013

On Mon, Aug 12, 2013 at 02:46:27AM +0200, Armin K. wrote:

> "Rather than offering you the illusion of the free choice, I'll take the
> liberty of choosing for you."

[snip]

 I understand where you are coming from, even though I loathe the
example (pulse - for me it doesn't bring any benefits, and just
complicates things).

 It seems a plausible stance to take throughout BLFS, but I guess
the likely consequence will be that exactly one desktop environment
will be supported (and 'startx' will be regarded as an intermediate
step on the way).  I'm not sure that many of our users will like
that.

 OTOH, since I can't build LFS svn at the moment, you can feel free
to disregard my comments until such time as I can again contribute
:-)

 Seriously, BLFS used to be about providing choice.  Some of the
past deecisions meant that editing was hard (e.g. building things
like TeX for docs), but people seemed to mostly manage to get
working systems.  Or perhaps they just gave up - I've no idea (I
only see the mails which appear on the lists).  Maybe the scope of
BLFS is too broad ?  (yes, I dread writing that because it may open
up the "separate books" discussion again, but unless there are
enough active developers / editors then the project goes nowhere.

ĸen