[blfs-dev] [blfs-book] r11616 - trunk/BOOK/x/lib

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Sun Aug 11 18:11:12 PDT 2013

Armin K. wrote:

> Installing a library over the existing library which is currently being
> used is user's mistake, no ours. We shouldn't bother to support such
> setup. We don't offer package management, we shouldn't care for updates.
> That should be up to user.

That's an interesting position to take.  What about installing Xorg in
/usr?  What happens if there is an update?  How convenient is

If it's installed in /opt, then the user can freely install, switch with
a simple symlimk change and switch back if there is a problem.

The same approach can be made for Qt and KDE.  I've been using in for
many years through many upgrades.  I still have the following in /opt on
one system:

ant -> ant-1.8.3
ant-1.7.0
ant-1.8.3

kde4 -> kde-4.8.3
kde-3.5.2
kde-4.8.3

qt -> qt-4.8.2
qt-3.3.5
qt-3.3.8
qt-3.3.8-nomysql
qt-4.3.4
qt-4.5.0
qt-4.5.2
qt-4.7.0
qt-4.8.2
qt4 -> qt-4.8.2

fop -> fop-0.93
fop-0.20.5
fop-0.93

gnome -> gnome-2.18.3
gnome-2.18.3

Another system does the same thing for OpenJDK and Xorg.

I do not have to destroy an installation to try out a new one.  That's
my distro and my rules.  I want to let others try it out and see if it
works for them.

In your case, you don't like it and you use your rules for your distro.
  That's perfectly fine.  I'm not trying to convince you.  I do want
users to see that there is more than one way to do things.  I'm quite
willing to help users who user either method or one of their own devising.