[blfs-dev] transmission

Armin K. krejzi at email.com
Sat Aug 10 14:11:41 PDT 2013

On 08/10/2013 11:07 PM, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> Armin K. wrote:
>
>> I was going to add Qt5 to the book, but QtWebKit build failed because of
>> Bison 3.0. Since I dislike using /opt for anything installed using
>> tested instructions, I'll just install binaries to /usr/lib/qt5/bin (for
>> qt4 we have /usr/lib/qt4/bin) and symlink the files to /usr/bin with
>> -qt5 suffix. Then, I'm going to add qtchooser, a package which contains
>> all the qt apps, but they can be changed using simple config file to
>> invoke -qt4 or -qt5 versions (precisely, to invoke executables from
>> /usr/lib/qt4/bin or /usr/lib/qt5/bin).
>
> The system I'm testing with right now has bison-2.7.12, so that's one
> thing I didn't see.  Did you find a fix?

No, not yet.

> Your approach is reasonable so go ahead and do that, but I will add
> alternate /opt instructions with an explanation of the advantages and
> disadvantages.
>
>    -- Bruce

Advantages and disadvantages are more or less the same. You still have
to use symlinks (and lot of env vars which I personally hate) to choose,
lets say, default qmake. And for non-standard prefix setup things always
go wrong (we are still tracking down issues for X not in the /usr by
default). For qtchooser, you just change default.conf to point to
qt5.conf and all executables will launch corresponding qt5 ones. Other
than that, there is no conflict at all.