[blfs-dev] transmission

Armin K. krejzi at email.com
Sat Aug 10 13:46:04 PDT 2013

On 08/10/2013 10:41 PM, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> I've been looking at transmission's update from 2.82 -> 2.82.
> The main program seems to build OK, but the gtk window is ugly.
>
> The qt client is another matter.  It now requires Qt5. I built Qt5 after
> a few false starts.  Since I have Xorg in /opt/xorg, it didn't honor
> pkgconfig in all cases and I needed to add:
>
> pathappend $XORG_PREFIX/lib             LIBRARY_PATH
> pathappend $XORG_PREFIX/include         C_INCLUDE_PATH
> pathappend $XORG_PREFIX/include         CPLUS_INCLUDE_PATH
>
> to /etc/profile.d/xorg.sh.  I also installed Qt5 in /opt/qt-5.1.0.  The
> configure command was:
>
> ./configure -confirm-license      \
>              -opensource           \
>              -release              \
>              -prefix /opt/qt-5.1.0 \
>              -nomake demos         \
>              -nomake examples      \
>              -optimized-qmake      \
>              -opengl es2           \
>              -xcb
>
> All of the libraries are prefixed with libQt5, e.g. libQt5Gui.so.  There
> is a conflict with programs like qmake, so the order of the directories
> in PATH is critical and changes if a program like KDE wants to link to
> Qt4 or transmission which want Qt5.
>
> Building the transmission qt client was not hard:
>
> export PATH=/opt/qt-5.1.0/bin:$PATH
> cd qt
> qmake qtr.pro
> make
> INSTALL_ROOT=/tmp/transmission/install make install
>
> The Qt5 interface for transmission is much nicer than the gtk interface.
>
> The question is how to handle this in the book.  Add another page for
> Qt5?  Just skip the Qt version of transmission?  Something else?
>
>    -- Bruce

I was going to add Qt5 to the book, but QtWebKit build failed because of
Bison 3.0. Since I dislike using /opt for anything installed using
tested instructions, I'll just install binaries to /usr/lib/qt5/bin (for
qt4 we have /usr/lib/qt4/bin) and symlink the files to /usr/bin with
-qt5 suffix. Then, I'm going to add qtchooser, a package which contains
all the qt apps, but they can be changed using simple config file to
invoke -qt4 or -qt5 versions (precisely, to invoke executables from
/usr/lib/qt4/bin or /usr/lib/qt5/bin).