[blfs-dev] Planning ahead

akhiezer lfs65 at cruziero.com
Wed Aug 7 11:36:14 PDT 2013

> From blfs-dev-bounces at linuxfromscratch.org Wed Aug  7 19:19:31 2013
> Date: Wed, 07 Aug 2013 12:03:00 -0500
> From: Rob Landley <rob at landley.net>
> To: akhiezer <lfs65 at cruziero.com>,
>         BLFS Development List
> 	<blfs-dev at linuxfromscratch.org>
> Subject: Re: [blfs-dev] Planning ahead
>
> On 08/04/2013 05:05:56 AM, akhiezer wrote:
> > > Date: Sat, 03 Aug 2013 18:07:43 -0500
> > > From: Bruce Dubbs <bruce.dubbs at gmail.com>
> > >         BLFS Development List <blfs-dev at linuxfromscratch.org>
> > > Subject: [blfs-dev] Planning ahead
> > >
> > > We have reached a milestone.  The SVN versions of both LFS and BLFS
> > are
> > > now up to date.  There are no major outstanding issues that need to
> > be
> > > fixed.
> > >
> > > There are a couple of minor changes that I have to LFS, but those
> > will
> > > be committed soon, but are not critical.  KDE is slightly out of
> > date,
> > > but a new version is due anyway in the next two weeks.
> > >
> > > Of course, upstream will continue to release additional updates and
> > we
> > > need to stay on top of that, but keeping up is a lot less problem
> > than
> > > getting caught up from being behind on literally hundreds of
> > packages.
> > >
> > > With that in mind, I would like to freeze LFS (mostly) on August 15
> > and
> > > release LFS-7.4-rc1.  The target date for LFS-7.4 will be 1
> > September.
> > > During the freeze period, some packages may be updated, but not gcc,
> > > binutils, or glibc.  Any update in the freeze period will be
> > considered
> > > by the impact to the rest of the books - both LFS and BLFS.
> > >
> > > In that two week period, beyond normal fixes, I propose to start
> > > rebuilding BLFS and marking packages for lfs74.  Shortly after the
> > LFS
> > > release, I'd like to produce a 'stable' BLFS-7.4 with all packages
> > in
> > > BLFS tested against the new LFS.  Then sometime in September we can
> > > release BLFS-7.4.
> > >
> > > Comments?
> > >

> > Could you (or whomever) take the current-revision (or similar)
> > blfs-svn, and
> > cut a 'blfs-svn-rNNNNN-lfs73_allchecked', with xml src and with
> > rendered html
> > & pdf, plus relevant auxiliary stuff like bootscripts/patches/&c, and
> > put it in
> > its own directory under '/downloads/....' on the web? Like was done
> > for
> > blfs/lfs-72 back in early Nov 2012.
>
> s/_allchecked/-rc1/
>
> That's what a release candidate _is_.

 - not sure what meaning are you intending to convey there. Could you clarify?
Thanks.

AIUI, it's intended that there's not going to be a formal blfs-7.3 release: as
such, a '-rc1' label tacked on after the '-lfs73' part like you seem to suggest,
is perhaps not pertinent; whereas the perhaps-more-stolid 'lfs73_allchecked'
reflects better the state.

The present blfs may be viewed as a release-candidate for blfs-7.4 : but, again,
I'm not sure what your suggested 'blfs-svn-rNNNNN-lfs73_allchecked' ->
'blfs-svn-rNNNNN-lfs73-rc1' brings to the table?

rgds,
akh