[blfs-dev] A patch proposal

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Tue Aug 6 18:19:16 PDT 2013

Ken Moffat wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 06, 2013 at 07:16:46PM -0500, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
>>
>> I'm generally OK with it, but we need to come up with a strategy for the
>> Perl modules.  I generally use cpan -i <Module1::Name> for those and we
>> don't want that repeated in every section.  There are 13 separate
>> modules listed and it seems like it would make for 13 very short pages.

>   Installing from cpan is great if what you want to do is pull in the
> dependencies automatically.  I've done it myself, on occasion.  But
> I think most LFS users are sufficiently anal to want to know what is
> pulled in - for that, running the commands by hand is the way to go,
> is it not ?

There is output of exactly what is being done: dependencies, build,
test, install.  All you have to do is use tee and direct to a file.

>   Also, what is wrong with short ? 8-)

Actually, there is a problem if you need to jump around to different
pages to view dependencies for what is usually a very short procedure.

>   Maybe a "perl-modules chapter page" could note that people can use
> CPAN, and then link to the individual modules - each of those would
> show 'perl Makefile.PL' or whatever the command is, and note if
> there is a testsuite.

Yes, and personally, I'd like to see that all on one page.