[blfs-dev] A patch proposal

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Tue Aug 6 17:55:56 PDT 2013

On Tue, Aug 06, 2013 at 07:16:46PM -0500, Bruce Dubbs wrote:

> I'm generally OK with it, but we need to come up with a strategy for the
> Perl modules.  I generally use cpan -i <Module1::Name> for those and we
> don't want that repeated in every section.  There are 13 separate
> modules listed and it seems like it would make for 13 very short pages.
>
> I'm not sure that's appropriate.
>
>    -- Bruce

 Installing from cpan is great if what you want to do is pull in the
dependencies automatically.  I've done it myself, on occasion.  But
I think most LFS users are sufficiently anal to want to know what is
pulled in - for that, running the commands by hand is the way to go,
is it not ?

 Also, what is wrong with short ? 8-)

 Maybe a "perl-modules chapter page" could note that people can use
CPAN, and then link to the individual modules - each of those would
show 'perl Makefile.PL' or whatever the command is, and note if
there is a testsuite.

ĸen