[blfs-dev] A patch proposal

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Tue Aug 6 17:16:46 PDT 2013

Ken Moffat wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 06, 2013 at 11:42:53PM +0200, Denis Mugnier wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> The BLFS book is a very great project. And I'm glad to translate the
>> book into french.
>>
>> Some files like python-modules.xml for example are very large and I
>> think that would be better to split theses files.
>>
>> Benefits :
>>      - easier to translate (it is very difficult to find a change
>> line 2050 for example)
>>      - easier to modify and maintain
>>      - easier to add or remove a module and deal with different
>> releases of Python
>>      - html rendering is the same
>>
>> Disadvantage :
>>     - more files
>>
>> If you agree with my idea, I can split other large files
>> (perl-modules.xml; x7driver.xml; other ?)
>>
>> The patch is attached.
>>
>> Best regards,
>>
>> Denis
>
>   I like the idea.  Gzipping was probably a good idea, but it's only
> one file so it didn't need to be put in a tarball - just gzip the
> file.
>
>   At the moment, I'm not greatly annoyed by having all the modules in
> one file - but if it makes translation harder then separate files is
> good.
>
>   If we did this for the perl modules then I guess we could move
> their indexing from "Others" to "Packages" (see longindex.html, e.g.
> PyXDG compared to XML::Parser) - that is something which really does
> annoy me.  If you split them, I'll have to find the time to change
> the indexing ;-)
>
>   The one thing I can't easily review is whether you changed anything
> when separating the files ?

I'm generally OK with it, but we need to come up with a strategy for the
Perl modules.  I generally use cpan -i <Module1::Name> for those and we
don't want that repeated in every section.  There are 13 separate
modules listed and it seems like it would make for 13 very short pages.

I'm not sure that's appropriate.