[blfs-dev] A patch proposal

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Tue Aug 6 16:06:47 PDT 2013

On Tue, Aug 06, 2013 at 11:42:53PM +0200, Denis Mugnier wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The BLFS book is a very great project. And I'm glad to translate the
> book into french.
>
> Some files like python-modules.xml for example are very large and I
> think that would be better to split theses files.
>
> Benefits :
>     - easier to translate (it is very difficult to find a change
> line 2050 for example)
>     - easier to modify and maintain
>     - easier to add or remove a module and deal with different
> releases of Python
>     - html rendering is the same
>
> Disadvantage :
>    - more files
>
> If you agree with my idea, I can split other large files
> (perl-modules.xml; x7driver.xml; other ?)
>
> The patch is attached.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Denis

 I like the idea.  Gzipping was probably a good idea, but it's only
one file so it didn't need to be put in a tarball - just gzip the
file.

 At the moment, I'm not greatly annoyed by having all the modules in
one file - but if it makes translation harder then separate files is
good.

 If we did this for the perl modules then I guess we could move
their indexing from "Others" to "Packages" (see longindex.html, e.g.
PyXDG compared to XML::Parser) - that is something which really does
annoy me.  If you split them, I'll have to find the time to change
the indexing ;-)

 The one thing I can't easily review is whether you changed anything
when separating the files ?

ĸen