[blfs-dev] [lfs-dev] Planning ahead

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Mon Aug 5 14:53:49 PDT 2013

On Mon, Aug 05, 2013 at 06:16:53AM -0600, Matthew Burgess wrote:
> On Sat, 03 Aug 2013 18:07:43 -0500, Bruce Dubbs <bruce.dubbs at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > With that in mind, I would like to freeze LFS (mostly) on August 15 and
> > release LFS-7.4-rc1.  The target date for LFS-7.4 will be 1 September.
> > During the freeze period, some packages may be updated, but not gcc,
> > binutils, or glibc.  Any update in the freeze period will be considered
> > by the impact to the rest of the books - both LFS and BLFS.
>
> I think we should also freeze the kernel major version, but allow updates
> to the patch version; that is any stable updates to the 3.10.x series should
> be considered on their merits during the freeze period.

 Greg KH has just announced that 3.10 will be the next
long-term-stable kernel (so, two years of maintenance).
If that matters to anyone.

 No other comments on the freeze, beyond my continuing amazement at
how up to date BLFS has become.  Congrats all round.

 I can't make any promises about testing it - I'm still struggling
to fix some annoying niggles on my own desktops, and I hope to be
away from time to time in the next 6 weeks.

ĸen