[blfs-dev] Planning ahead

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Sun Aug 4 08:24:36 PDT 2013

akhiezer wrote:
>> Date: Sat, 03 Aug 2013 18:07:43 -0500
>> From: Bruce Dubbs <bruce.dubbs at gmail.com>
>>          BLFS Development List <blfs-dev at linuxfromscratch.org>
>> Subject: [blfs-dev] Planning ahead
>>
>> We have reached a milestone.  The SVN versions of both LFS and BLFS are
>> now up to date.  There are no major outstanding issues that need to be
>> fixed.
>>
>> There are a couple of minor changes that I have to LFS, but those will
>> be committed soon, but are not critical.  KDE is slightly out of date,
>> but a new version is due anyway in the next two weeks.
>>
>> Of course, upstream will continue to release additional updates and we
>> need to stay on top of that, but keeping up is a lot less problem than
>> getting caught up from being behind on literally hundreds of packages.
>>
>> With that in mind, I would like to freeze LFS (mostly) on August 15 and
>> release LFS-7.4-rc1.  The target date for LFS-7.4 will be 1 September.
>> During the freeze period, some packages may be updated, but not gcc,
>> binutils, or glibc.  Any update in the freeze period will be considered
>> by the impact to the rest of the books - both LFS and BLFS.
>>
>> In that two week period, beyond normal fixes, I propose to start
>> rebuilding BLFS and marking packages for lfs74.  Shortly after the LFS
>> release, I'd like to produce a 'stable' BLFS-7.4 with all packages in
>> BLFS tested against the new LFS.  Then sometime in September we can
>> release BLFS-7.4.
>>
>> Comments?
>>

> Could you (or whomever) take the current-revision (or similar) blfs-svn, and
> cut a 'blfs-svn-rNNNNN-lfs73_allchecked', with xml src and with rendered html
> & pdf, plus relevant auxiliary stuff like bootscripts/patches/&c, and put it in
> its own directory under '/downloads/....' on the web? Like was done for
> blfs/lfs-72 back in early Nov 2012.

I can do that, but is it needed if we are going to do a full release in
the next month of so?

> That's assuming that the 'lfs73_allchecked' is accurate, and there's not
> (too m)any packages still at earlier (e.g. lfs72_checked) or later (e.g.
> lfs-svn_checked) status.

There are no lfs72 tags left.  The only thing right now is some KDE
packages that are slightly older than the latest, but they have been
checked for lfs73.

> Or if not for the right-now current blfs-svn, then at least for the final
> revision (or similar - whichever makes most sense) before any blfs packages
> start transitioning to 'lfs74_{built,checked,...}' status.
>

> I know that blfs-7.4 is mooted for a month or two away: but right now (or in a
> few weeks' time, per preceding para) if you've got a reasonably-'completed'
> blfs-7.3 in all but name, then I'd say it makes sense to snapshot that per above.

Perhaps.  Adding a tag is no big deal.  A few other tasks associated may
be reasonable.