[blfs-dev] Planning ahead

akhiezer lfs65 at cruziero.com
Sun Aug 4 03:05:56 PDT 2013

> Date: Sat, 03 Aug 2013 18:07:43 -0500
> From: Bruce Dubbs <bruce.dubbs at gmail.com>
>         BLFS Development List <blfs-dev at linuxfromscratch.org>
> Subject: [blfs-dev] Planning ahead
>
> We have reached a milestone.  The SVN versions of both LFS and BLFS are
> now up to date.  There are no major outstanding issues that need to be
> fixed.
>
> There are a couple of minor changes that I have to LFS, but those will
> be committed soon, but are not critical.  KDE is slightly out of date,
> but a new version is due anyway in the next two weeks.
>
> Of course, upstream will continue to release additional updates and we
> need to stay on top of that, but keeping up is a lot less problem than
> getting caught up from being behind on literally hundreds of packages.
>
> With that in mind, I would like to freeze LFS (mostly) on August 15 and
> release LFS-7.4-rc1.  The target date for LFS-7.4 will be 1 September.
> During the freeze period, some packages may be updated, but not gcc,
> binutils, or glibc.  Any update in the freeze period will be considered
> by the impact to the rest of the books - both LFS and BLFS.
>
> In that two week period, beyond normal fixes, I propose to start
> rebuilding BLFS and marking packages for lfs74.  Shortly after the LFS
> release, I'd like to produce a 'stable' BLFS-7.4 with all packages in
> BLFS tested against the new LFS.  Then sometime in September we can
> release BLFS-7.4.
>
> Comments?

Could you (or whomever) take the current-revision (or similar) blfs-svn, and
cut a 'blfs-svn-rNNNNN-lfs73_allchecked', with xml src and with rendered html
& pdf, plus relevant auxiliary stuff like bootscripts/patches/&c, and put it in
its own directory under '/downloads/....' on the web? Like was done for
blfs/lfs-72 back in early Nov 2012.

That's assuming that the 'lfs73_allchecked' is accurate, and there's not
(too m)any packages still at earlier (e.g. lfs72_checked) or later (e.g.
lfs-svn_checked) status.

Or if not for the right-now current blfs-svn, then at least for the final
revision (or similar - whichever makes most sense) before any blfs packages
start transitioning to 'lfs74_{built,checked,...}' status.

I know that blfs-7.4 is mooted for a month or two away: but right now (or in a
few weeks' time, per preceding para) if you've got a reasonably-'completed'
blfs-7.3 in all but name, then I'd say it makes sense to snapshot that per above.

rgds,
akh