[blfs-dev] Planning ahead

Armin K. krejzi at email.com
Sun Aug 4 01:33:18 PDT 2013

On 08/04/2013 04:44 AM, Wayne Blaszczyk wrote:
> On 04/08/13 09:07, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
>> We have reached a milestone.  The SVN versions of both LFS and BLFS are
>> now up to date.  There are no major outstanding issues that need to be
>> fixed.
>>
>> There are a couple of minor changes that I have to LFS, but those will
>> be committed soon, but are not critical.  KDE is slightly out of date,
>> but a new version is due anyway in the next two weeks.
>>
>> Of course, upstream will continue to release additional updates and we
>> need to stay on top of that, but keeping up is a lot less problem than
>> getting caught up from being behind on literally hundreds of packages.
>>
>> With that in mind, I would like to freeze LFS (mostly) on August 15 and
>> release LFS-7.4-rc1.  The target date for LFS-7.4 will be 1 September.
>> During the freeze period, some packages may be updated, but not gcc,
>> binutils, or glibc.  Any update in the freeze period will be considered
>> by the impact to the rest of the books - both LFS and BLFS.
>>
>> In that two week period, beyond normal fixes, I propose to start
>> rebuilding BLFS and marking packages for lfs74.  Shortly after the LFS
>> release, I'd like to produce a 'stable' BLFS-7.4 with all packages in
>> BLFS tested against the new LFS.  Then sometime in September we can
>> release BLFS-7.4.
>>
>> Comments?
>>
>>    -- Bruce
>>

> I'm curious about what are the plans for GNOME in a stable BLFS.
> Is it going to be completely removed since it incomplete? or will there
> be some kind of note stating that it is incomplete?
>
> Wayne.

I have added a small note on the "GNOME Core Packages" introduction page
that we don't support full desktop. I am sorry, but I don't have any
time to work on either LFS or BLFS Systemd branch. My machine was away
for 50 days due to repairs (which would be enough to get it going) and
yet I have some other things to do (real life). I can merge latest
changes in LFS and BLFS systemd branches in case someone wants to pick
it up. Other than that, I don't think I can do.