[blfs-dev] Planning ahead

Armin K. krejzi at email.com
Sun Aug 4 01:29:23 PDT 2013

On 08/04/2013 01:07 AM, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> We have reached a milestone.  The SVN versions of both LFS and BLFS are
> now up to date.  There are no major outstanding issues that need to be
> fixed.
>
> There are a couple of minor changes that I have to LFS, but those will
> be committed soon, but are not critical.  KDE is slightly out of date,
> but a new version is due anyway in the next two weeks.
>
> Of course, upstream will continue to release additional updates and we
> need to stay on top of that, but keeping up is a lot less problem than
> getting caught up from being behind on literally hundreds of packages.
>
> With that in mind, I would like to freeze LFS (mostly) on August 15 and
> release LFS-7.4-rc1.  The target date for LFS-7.4 will be 1 September.
> During the freeze period, some packages may be updated, but not gcc,
> binutils, or glibc.  Any update in the freeze period will be considered
> by the impact to the rest of the books - both LFS and BLFS.
>
> In that two week period, beyond normal fixes, I propose to start
> rebuilding BLFS and marking packages for lfs74.  Shortly after the LFS
> release, I'd like to produce a 'stable' BLFS-7.4 with all packages in
> BLFS tested against the new LFS.  Then sometime in September we can
> release BLFS-7.4.
>
> Comments?
>
>    -- Bruce

For your information, my current system was built several days ago (more
than 900 source packages) using LFS-SVN 20130711 as a base (no toolchain
changes). Only major change that happened was Bison 3.0 which I've heard
breaks Mesa build which I haven't updated yet. Only newer thing that I
use is Linux Kernel which is at 3.11-rc4 here since Radeon power
management landed there. I can tag lot of packages for LFS 7.4 (the
current svn) since I haven't noticed any serious issues out there.