[blfs-dev] systemd and GNOME was: Re: Planning ahead

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Sat Aug 3 22:05:22 PDT 2013

Wayne Blaszczyk wrote:

> If that is the case then it should be mentioned somewhere that this is
> not the full GNOME suite, Otherwise people will be confused. I'm
> referring to Esben's post on the 22nd.

I'm waiting for the branch developers (Matt and Armin) to say they're
ready.  There will be links on the website and more in BLFS when that
happens.

> I think it would have of been a lot easier if the GNOME packages
> remained in the main book, and just to have a note on each package that
> required systemd, either by referring to LFS-systemd link, or just an
> external systemd link.

It's certainly not easier for the ones maintaining the book.  There are
about 750 packages in the book now, even without the Gnome Window
manager and support packages.

Do you want to help support the systemd branch?

I've said before, systemd is a solution in search of a problem.  It's
techniques are useful in about 1% of installations.  It's complex and
opaque.  It is the poster child of not-KISS.