[blfs-dev] systemd and GNOME was: Re: Planning ahead

Wayne Blaszczyk wblaszcz at bigpond.net.au
Sat Aug 3 21:32:45 PDT 2013

On 04/08/13 13:46, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> Wayne Blaszczyk wrote:

>>> GNOME 2 is obsolete and unsupported with newer suport libraries like
>>> glib.  GNOME 3 appears to depend on systemd, so if there is enough
>>> interest in supporting the systemd branh, then gnome will be suppored
>>> there.
>
>> So is the GNOME chapter going to be removed from the main branch?
>
> There are some applications that can be built.  Those remain.  The
> support packages in Chapter 30 are there to support the packages in
> Chapter 31.
>
>    -- Bruce

If that is the case then it should be mentioned somewhere that this is
not the full GNOME suite, Otherwise people will be confused. I'm
referring to Esben's post on the 22nd.

One another note, I think there would be more incentive (to maintaining
this) if the systemd branch was actually made public, i.e. a link from
the main BLFS page. No one wants to maintain something that is not going
to be seen by anyone else.
On the other hand. Would not merging be a nightmare to maintain between
the two branches?

I think it would have of been a lot easier if the GNOME packages
remained in the main book, and just to have a note on each package that
required systemd, either by referring to LFS-systemd link, or just an
external systemd link.

Regards,
Wayne.