[blfs-dev] New packages today from upstream

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Fri Aug 2 06:42:40 PDT 2013

On Fri, Aug 02, 2013 at 03:00:37PM +0200, Armin K. wrote:

> > I guess it's r600-llvm-compiler which is broken, but we don't enable
> > that by default. Compiling Mesa now.
> >

> Okay, hacked it to build, r600 works fine (no llvm backend enabled) but
> llvmpipe (llvm accelerated software rasterizer) performance is more than
> terrible. Lets hope no one uses it on a daily basis.
>
> http://i.imgur.com/m2Gc6lA.png
>
> It's a discrete card (hybrid graphics laptop) so that's why performance
> is so terrible - same with 9.2 git from several days ago.

 BTW, there is a testsuite in 9.2, I added --enable-gallium-tests.
I got (at least) one error - it stops make check at that point.
Haven't had time to report it yet, still trying to understand a
bigger annoyance (xscreensaver can't load the r600 driver on GL
savers such as GLHanoi).  Works fine if I alter the perms on
/dev/dri/card0 to m660 - yes, I'm in the video group, glxinfo/gears
run ok (your patch for xdemos is fine in 9.2), and xscreensaver runs
as user ken.  Guess I'll need to ask elsewhere about that one, it's
taken me days to get this far in understanding the problem and I've
no idea what part of this is apparently becoming some other user.

 In 9.1.* I had a lot of segfaults in the r600 GL savers, never got
as far as discovering the perms error (didn't try passing
LIBGL_DEBUG=verbose when I started xscreensaver :)  Anyway, getting
back on topic -

 For 9.2, with my configure options, I got a message that radeonsi
and r600g require libelf.  Found that, straight CMMI but no obvious
way to prevent it installing static lib (and uses instroot instead
of DESTDIR - how many other variations are there ;-).  I see that
arch uses elfutils from fedora-hosted, but that looks equally messy.
Do you need either of these, or is it just my "try everything"
config of Mesa-9.2 ?

ĸen