[blfs-dev] other filesystem utilities

Nathan Coulson conathan at gmail.com
Wed Feb 29 20:38:25 PST 2012

On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 7:04 PM, Bruce Dubbs <bruce.dubbs at gmail.com> wrote:
> Andrew Benton wrote:
>
>> Thanks to your message I've spent some time playing with gpt today
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GUID_Partition_Table
>> and I now think there's a good case for putting gptfdisk into LFS.
>> fdisk and cfdisk are installed in LFS but if you have a GUID partition
>> table they're no use. I think gptfdisk should be in LFS.
>
> What about parted which is already in BLFS?
>
> Actually, I think BLFS may be good enough.  We would need parted on the
> host system.  If we need it after we boot into LFS, it can be built via
> BLFS.
>
> Also, util-linux plans to add GPT support into fdisk in version 2.22.
> That's probably six months away.
>
> I'm open to gptfdisk, but would like to see more discussion.
>
>   -- Bruce

for myself, I have always liked fdisk's style to parted, which is
probably why I went to gptfdisk all those years ago.  If I recall,
parted has less control over the partition types then fdisk/gptfdisk
(ex:/ I couldn't make a boot partition).  that was a year or two ago
though...

but, if util-linux has this on their radar, I'd be content to wait for
util-linux to bring it in.  (or remove gptfdisk [if added]when
util-linux has their support)

either way,  gpt is here now, and working.

--
Nathan Coulson (conathan)
------