[blfs-dev] VLC-2.0.0

Ragnar Thomsen ragnarthomsen at hotmail.com
Sun Feb 26 03:24:55 PST 2012

> Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2012 23:37:35 +0000
> From: zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
> To: blfs-dev at linuxfromscratch.org
> Subject: Re: [blfs-dev] VLC-2.0.0
>
> On Sun, Feb 26, 2012 at 12:21:02AM +0100, Ragnar Thomsen wrote:
> >
> > Diff to add the VLC media player. Quite a dependency list to go through.
> >
> Wow, I've never seen so many optional deps, I like the way you've
> broken them up (I think it's a new departure for the book, but I
> like it).

With this many dependencies they have to be grouped some way, so I decided to group them as in the output from ./configure --help.

> BUT - unless 2.0 is *very* different from 1.1.12 I really think you
> ought to mark QT4 as recommended - my experience of vlc-1.1.12
> without QT was that it worked using my installed ffmpeg, but it
> really gave me no more functionality than ffplay. With a skin, it
> is much more usable, and certainly at that time QT4 was needed for a
> skin. Comments ?

Well yes, without QT4 you only get a command-line player or a ncurses-based interface.
I think it's a good idea to list QT as a recommended dependency. With this huge list, I just didn't know where to start sorting dependencies into recommended/optional.

One other thing. I forgot to add Lua (http://www.lua.org) to the dependency list. As I stated in the diff, VLC fails to configure without Lua if the option --disable-lua is not included. I haven't noticed any loss in function of VLC without it though. So I would recommend adding it to the "optional miscellaneous dependencies".