[blfs-dev] gnucash brokenness

Andrew Benton b3nton at gmail.com
Sat Feb 25 17:32:45 PST 2012

On Sun, 26 Feb 2012 01:19:41 +0000
Ken Moffat <zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com> wrote:

>  I started to look at what this would need, but there's a bigger
> problem - gnucash wants gtkhtml-3 : I'll be updating the book to -4
> shortly for gnome-3.  Now I did manage to build the old version
> last week, but only by getting rid of the built-in defines to warn
> or error about deprecated things :
>  sed -i 's/-D.*DEPRECATED/ /g' configure
>
>  No idea if what resulted was usable.  There *might* be an
> alternative - build webkit with gtk2 so that it produces the
> webkit-1 versions instead of webkit-3 which is what gnome uses -
> and then use --with-html-engine=webkit in gnucash.

--with-html-engine=webkit works for me

>  To say nothing of the required deprecated gnome packages that I've
> actually stopped building.  If I were to try this, I think I'd put
> all these gnucash-only deps, and perhaps gnucash itself, into /opt.

That's what I did. I was starting to come round to the idea of putting
guile-1.8.8 in the book (and slib-3b3) but then when I found gnucash
needed: gnome-mime-data, gnome-vfs, libIDL, ORBit2, libbonobo, libgnome,
libart_lgpl, libgnomecanvas, libbonoboui, libgnomeui and an older
version of goffice... No, no thanks. I'd like this legacy stuff to go.

Andy