[blfs-dev] gnucash brokenness

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Sat Feb 25 17:19:41 PST 2012

On Sat, Feb 25, 2012 at 07:17:02PM +0000, Ken Moffat wrote:

>  We've been using guile-2 since 13th November.  If it was practical
> to install the old version beside it, that might be the way to go,
> but it looks to me as if the only way to do that would be to put
> guile-1.8 in a different prefix and ensure that prefix came at the
> start of $PATH and $PKG_CONFIG_PATH when building gnucash, and was
> otherwise ignored.

 I started to look at what this would need, but there's a bigger
problem - gnucash wants gtkhtml-3 : I'll be updating the book to -4
shortly for gnome-3.  Now I did manage to build the old version
last week, but only by getting rid of the built-in defines to warn
or error about deprecated things :
 sed -i 's/-D.*DEPRECATED/ /g' configure

 No idea if what resulted was usable.  There *might* be an
alternative - build webkit with gtk2 so that it produces the
webkit-1 versions instead of webkit-3 which is what gnome uses -
and then use --with-html-engine=webkit in gnucash.

 To say nothing of the required deprecated gnome packages that I've
actually stopped building.  If I were to try this, I think I'd put
all these gnucash-only deps, and perhaps gnucash itself, into /opt.

ĸen