[blfs-dev] gnucash brokenness

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Sat Feb 25 11:17:02 PST 2012

On Sat, Feb 25, 2012 at 05:14:32PM +0000, Andrew Benton wrote:

> It's the guile command that fails trying to build a catalog of the slib
> files. This is a scheme (Lisp) library, text files with lisp code in
> them. If it was just c or c++ it wouldn't be so bad but this rubbish
> smells like latex/texlive to me. This is an ex parrot. It has ceased to
> be...

 I think gnucash developers nailed it to its perch in the hope
nobody would notice.
> In the book I see guile mentioned on the gnucash and slib pages
> (obviously) as well as the pages for: gnutls,  aisleriot, gnome-games,
> gconf1, autogen and graphviz so reverting to guile-1.8.8 would have
> implications to those other packages. The only one of those I install
> is gnutls and it seems quite happy without guile.

 I've built gnutls without.  No idea about graphviz, I *suspect* the
others can probably be made to use 1.8 (aisleriot assumes 1.8 so
needs --with-guile=2.0).  Gnome-games-3.2.1 no longer uses guile
according to my notes (solitaire has been separated into aisleriot).

 But, I've no plans to try.  If someone wants to build gnome-3 with
old guile, I'd be interested to know how it turns out.

 We've been using guile-2 since 13th November.  If it was practical
to install the old version beside it, that might be the way to go,
but it looks to me as if the only way to do that would be to put
guile-1.8 in a different prefix and ensure that prefix came at the
start of $PATH and $PKG_CONFIG_PATH when building gnucash, and was
otherwise ignored.

> Reverting to guile-1.8.8 is the only way I can see of fixing gnucash.
> Personally I'm happy with gnucash and slib out of the book ;)
> Anybody else want gnucash, slib and guile-1.8.8?
>
> Andy
 I'm less than keen to drop gnucash, given that it *appears* to be
useful to some people.  For slib, I too would be happy to drop it.

ĸen