[blfs-dev] gnucash brokenness

Fernando de Oliveira famobr at yahoo.com.br
Sat Feb 25 10:11:26 PST 2012

Em 25-02-2012 14:14, Andrew Benton escreveu:
> On Sat, 25 Feb 2012 10:16:50 -0600
> Bruce Dubbs <bruce.dubbs at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> For me it is easy to keep guile-1.8.8 as I believe, I use it just for
>>> gnucash.
>> Perhaps this is a case for a static library.
> It's the guile command that fails trying to build a catalog of the slib
> files. This is a scheme (Lisp) library, text files with lisp code in
> them. If it was just c or c++ it wouldn't be so bad but this rubbish
> smells like latex/texlive to me. This is an ex parrot. It has ceased to
> be...
>
> In the book I see guile mentioned on the gnucash and slib pages
> (obviously) as well as the pages for: gnutls,  aisleriot, gnome-games,
> gconf1, autogen and graphviz so reverting to guile-1.8.8 would have
> implications to those other packages. The only one of those I install
> is gnutls and it seems quite happy without guile.
>
> Reverting to guile-1.8.8 is the only way I can see of fixing gnucash.
> Personally I'm happy with gnucash and slib out of the book ;)
> Anybody else want gnucash, slib and guile-1.8.8?
>
> Andy

I would not mind switching to another accounting software. When I migrated from windows, after concluding that I knew how to run and use software in linux (I did not know if I would be capable of using it, but was hating windows for many reasons), next thing I did was to find if there was something here to replace ms-money.

It took me some time to get used to gnucash. I consider it useful and necessary, and agree with you (within my limited level of knowledge) about the problems. I hate the high number of dependencies and always hoped that in the linux world somebody would appear to do a new thing to replace it. Also, gnome-3 seems to be a threat, if they do not move fast.

Unfortunately to me, gnucash was and is the price I have to pay to use linux and opensource software.

I am afraid if gc and slib are deleted from the book, I could not get help, as I did from Armin, when problems appear.

I do not feel myself capable of maintaining and editing a page of BLFS, but I could be at your service to run and install these packages from a fresh LFS, keep them up to date and do not delay issues related to them, replying as soon as I am aware of it, at your request. Could even try to produce a html page or perhaps learn how to edit and render xtml (just the text inside) for you.

For what have been discussed, most people using linux do not use accounting software, or they rely on spreadsheets?

For the sake of linux (from a more general perspective), I believe gc is still a necessity.

--
[]s,
Fernando