[blfs-dev] Phonon and its backends

Ragnar Thomsen ragnarthomsen at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 23 12:45:56 PST 2012

>On Wed Feb 22 12:15:54 MST 2012, Ken Moffat wrote:
>I don't have time to render this (too busy with those gnome
>packages), but a couple of things I noticed from a quick look at it:
>
>1. You've tagged the packages as tested with LFS-6.7.  Is that what
>you are really using ?  If it is, I'm afraid it's too old to be
>consistent with everything else that was recently updated.  Might
>work, but doesn't give any confidence to builders.  At a pinch,
>LFS-6.8 gives some indication that things might still work, but
>LFS-7.0 (or 7.1 when released) is what we should be using for
>the book (IMO).
>
> For individual packages which are added, if it was up to me I'd be
>reluctant to consider anything which hasn't been built with LFS-7.0
>(and, by implication, with all the updated toolkits and libraries in
>BLFS).
>
> Actually, if you are building against LFS-6.7 it's probably a
>showstopper - so much has changed since that release.

Actually I am running a LFS-7.0 system, but forgot to update those entries. My apologies.
I will submit a new diff file.

> You've altered the date in general.ent, as well as adding making
>the necessary updates.  For an editor, that would be correct (you'd
>also need to update changelog.xml, as well as svn add'ing and svn
>propset'ing the new files).  At the moment, you can't commit so
>someone will need to do that and fix up the rejection from the old
>date or from your changed date :-)  If anyone else is thinking of
>supplying patches for the svn, please don't alter the date in
>general.ent (or add changelog entries) until we agree you should get
>commit privileges.
>
>2. You added an external link to VLC as a required dependency.  Our
>current policy is that required (and recommended) dependencies
>should be in the book.  Yes, that increases the workload.  For
>vlc-1.1.12 (new release was out this week, I haven't tried it yet) I
>built libdvdread-4.1.3 and libdvdnav-4.1.3 using a patch from PLD to
>correct where its users look for headers (include/dvdnav instead of
>include/libdvdread). I see that libdvdread-4.2.0 is now in the book,
>with luck that will provide all the needed functionality.
>
> Thanks for creating this diff.
>
>ĸen

Ok, I will create a diff file for adding VLC. I installed VLC-2.0 (it works like a charm), but it has a lot of dependencies; not so many required though.
What are the exact definitions of recommended and optional dependencies? I read the editors guide and looked on the website but can't seem to find any information on this...

I have no problem playing DVD's with VLC, but I had to build libdvdread, libdvdnav and libdvdcss packages (no patches needed).

- rthomsen -