[blfs-dev] Phonon and its backends

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Wed Feb 22 14:08:07 PST 2012

On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 09:29:12PM +0000, Andrew Benton wrote:
> On Wed, 22 Feb 2012 19:15:54 +0000
> Ken Moffat <zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com> wrote:
>
> > 2. You added an external link to VLC as a required dependency.  Our
> > current policy is that required (and recommended) dependencies
> > should be in the book.  Yes, that increases the workload.  For
> > vlc-1.1.12 (new release was out this week, I haven't tried it yet) I
> > built libdvdread-4.1.3 and libdvdnav-4.1.3 using a patch from PLD to
> > correct where its users look for headers (include/dvdnav instead of
> > include/libdvdread). I see that libdvdread-4.2.0 is now in the book,
> > with luck that will provide all the needed functionality.
>
> libdvdnav-4.2.0 is available from the same download location as
> libdvdread-4.2.0 http://dvdnav.mplayerhq.hu/releases/ it installs in
> the same way as libdvdread: you run ./autogen.sh --prefix=/usr instead
> of configure. It installs its headers into /usr/include/dvdnav. Should
> libdvdnav be in the book? Xine-lib can use it (though configure --help
> warns against it).
>
> Andy

 For the previous version of vlc, I apparently needed it to be able
to play DVDs. OTOH, the playback with vlc only worked well on the
machine where I'm still using /dev/hdX for the DVD (never got around
to updating that to /dev/sr0) - on the machine where I do use
/dev/sr0 on an IDE dvd drive, playback is mostly intermittent and
uses lots of CPU, as if DMA is off.  The issue of including dvdnav
probably only arises if vlc gets into the book.

 Xine plays DVDs ok on both machines, both with and without
libdvdread and libdvdnav.

ĸen