[blfs-dev] Phonon and its backends

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Wed Feb 22 11:15:54 PST 2012


On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 06:44:34PM +0100, Ragnar Thomsen wrote:
> 
> I updated phonon and the gstreamer backend.
> I removed the xine backend, since it has been deprecated.
> I added the vlc backend.
> 
> Since this is my first commit, please let me know if I did something wrong or if there is anything I can do better.
> 
> Regards, rthomsen
> 
 I don't have time to render this (too busy with those gnome
packages), but a couple of things I noticed from a quick look at it:

1. You've tagged the packages as tested with LFS-6.7.  Is that what
you are really using ?  If it is, I'm afraid it's too old to be
consistent with everything else that was recently updated.  Might
work, but doesn't give any confidence to builders.  At a pinch,
LFS-6.8 gives some indication that things might still work, but
LFS-7.0 (or 7.1 when released) is what we should be using for
the book (IMO).

 For individual packages which are added, if it was up to me I'd be
reluctant to consider anything which hasn't been built with LFS-7.0
(and, by implication, with all the updated toolkits and libraries in
BLFS).

 Actually, if you are building against LFS-6.7 it's probably a
showstopper - so much has changed since that release.

 You've altered the date in general.ent, as well as adding making
the necessary updates.  For an editor, that would be correct (you'd
also need to update changelog.xml, as well as svn add'ing and svn
propset'ing the new files).  At the moment, you can't commit so
someone will need to do that and fix up the rejection from the old
date or from your changed date :-)  If anyone else is thinking of
supplying patches for the svn, please don't alter the date in
general.ent (or add changelog entries) until we agree you should get
commit privileges.

2. You added an external link to VLC as a required dependency.  Our
current policy is that required (and recommended) dependencies
should be in the book.  Yes, that increases the workload.  For
vlc-1.1.12 (new release was out this week, I haven't tried it yet) I
built libdvdread-4.1.3 and libdvdnav-4.1.3 using a patch from PLD to
correct where its users look for headers (include/dvdnav instead of
include/libdvdread). I see that libdvdread-4.2.0 is now in the book,
with luck that will provide all the needed functionality.

 Thanks for creating this diff.

ĸen
-- 
das eine Mal als Tragödie, das andere Mal als Farce



More information about the blfs-dev mailing list