[blfs-dev] A question on tags

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Tue Feb 21 16:09:31 PST 2012

On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 05:43:29PM -0600, Bruce Dubbs wrote:

> I don't do a lot of user testing if it's not a package I usually use.
> If the program starts, then it works as far as I'm concerned.  We may
> have a configuration problem, but that can be fixed if we find it.  It's
> not our purpose to do extensive user testing.
>
> For instance, if I build alsa, getting the speaker test to play white
> noise is enough for me.  For ssh, can I connect to another system?  How
> about Gimp?  Start it, scribble something, and save it is enough.

 Oh, testing Gimp is easy (well, gimp + ufraw) - I've got a
directory on my 'photos' machine containing some pictures.  Open a
raw file, process it to get a somewhat tolerable jpeg, then crop it
and ensure I can get the ratio displayed while I'm doing it.  After
that, I've got other scripts I use which test the exif progs.  But,
that's something I use a lot (when I've got the time), and it was
why I didn't update Gimp at some time in 2009 (previous version was
fine, new version lost the display of the crop ratio at that time).

> Doing something like Gnome is really hard.  You are trying to be
> complete, but don't know a lot of the programs.  Sometimes built and not
> tested is the right thing to say.  It just depends on your comfort
> level, but I really don't want to add a third tag.

 OK, I was reading more into 'works properly'.  I'll probably tag
file-runner as 'works properly'.

ĸen