[blfs-dev] gnucash - was Re: gtkmm2 and gtkmm3...

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Tue Feb 21 15:14:44 PST 2012

On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 05:43:51PM -0800, Fernando de Oliveira wrote:
> Em 19-02-2012 16:51, Ken Moffat escreveu:
> >  That's good, but I'm only interested in LFS-7.0 (or later) for the
> > book.  We've upgraded libguile, glib, gtk and a host of other
> > things.  OTOH, I know you upgrade your old systems, so I can't say
> > for certain that *you* can't make it work on LFS-7.0 :)  I know *I*
> > can't.
> >
> > ĸen
>
> Hi, Ken,
>
> Of course you could :-), but I understand you have many more priorities and are doing the best.

 No, I did an all-nighter on Saturday to get it to build.  Along the
way I found several reports that it was b0rken with guile-2.0.
Fedora *appear* to have it working, so I followed what they are
doing (apart from one patch to make the build less noisy).  Didn't
work for me, so I'm all-but certain that either, or both, of
gtkhtml3-on-current-glib/gtk (probably glib), and libguile2.0, are
the problem.  Of course, it's also possible that fedora do something
extra/different in gtkhtml3.

 Remember that I never understood how to *use* it in the past - it
needs someone who can do that, preferably on a fresh install so that
the files it wants to set up are not pre-existing, to find out how to
make it work
> Problem with gnucash-2.4.10 in LFS6.5 solved. PATH variable was completely wrong, so gconftool-2 could not be found. After correcting it and using update-gnucash-gconf (I read about it in your mail) it runs correctly.

good
> I intend to build lxde, gnome-2, gnucash-2.4.10 and libreoffice-3.5.0 (forgot to mention this as my other "gnome dependent package") in "LFS 7.0 svn". When and if succeeded, I will let you know.

 I'll be interested - the old OOo looked too painful for my
minimalist instincts, and abiword + gnumeric do what I need.  But
notes on current libreoffice might be useful.
> (I understand from your previous posts that gnome-3 would not run gnucash?

 The problem, from the book's point of view, is that gnome-2 has
gone - apart from the 'deprecated' packages that I asked to be kept
until we can get rid of them.
> We discussed before and I just remembered that I cleaned a little bit further gtkmm-3.2.0 directories:
>
> /usr/{{include,lib}/{gdkmm-3.0,gtkmm-3.0},share/{devhelp/books,doc}/gtkmm-3.0}
>
> This might be usefull when you upgrade the page.

 Yeah, particularly with Wayne's gnome-3 packages there is often
more detail than I would have included.  In my opinion, if a
directory is only created by a particular package, we don't need to
list all the directories below it.  OTOH, sometimes apparently
unrelated packages install directories below a directory I thought
belonged to another package.

ĸen