[blfs-dev] Committing changes to BLFS

Andrew Benton b3nton at gmail.com
Tue Feb 21 11:30:21 PST 2012

On Tue, 21 Feb 2012 20:15:25 +0100
Ragnar Thomsen <ragnarthomsen at hotmail.com> wrote:

> I want to start contributing to the BLFS book, but I'm not really sure how to commit changes. I have downloaded a copy of BLFS using svn and have made my changes to the relevant xml-files and general.ent. I have also generated a html version using tidy and verified that everything looks ok.

Have a look at:
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/edguide/
Bruce decides who gets to have svn access. In the mean time, sending in
a diff is a good way to show how you work.

> Now, do I have to create a diff file of the entire trunk or just of the files i have updated?

It depends how many files you've changed. If it's just the one then I
usually just put them next to each other by adding .orig to the end of
the original then

diff -u path/to/the/file.xml{.orig,} > ~/output.diff

> I don't have a lot of experience with diff.

man diff is a good place to start.

> Is this the correct command to use:
>
> diff -Naur trunk mytrunk > mycontribution.diff

Yes that will work fine if you have altered several files. However, the
svn folders contain lots of files and diff will need to examine them
all which may take some time and add lots of spurious changes that may
need to be removed by hand.
Another option is to use svn. It knows what the files should look like.
Try:
svn diff > ~/mycontribution.diff

Andy