[blfs-dev] initramfs

Jeremy Huntwork jhuntwork at lightcubesolutions.com
Tue Feb 21 01:08:44 PST 2012

On 2/20/12 9:02 PM, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> The reason I'm presenting this here is to get some discussion on how to
> present the initramfs to users.  Overall, it is quite complicated.
> There are many ways to present this, however adding encryption or
> not sure the benefit of adding this to the book is worth the effort.
> The number of options is large and a very simple presentation may not
> satisfy many users.
>
> What's the best way to proceed?

As an alternative, it is possible to cover the basics, teach what an
initramfs is, what it's useful for, etc, and provide a very basic
implementation, i.e., without dracut or the myriads of options to
satisfy all needs.

As an example, look at this init:

https://github.com/jhuntwork/LightCube-OS/blob/master/packages/mkinitramfs/init.in

And the script that creates the image:

https://github.com/jhuntwork/LightCube-OS/blob/master/packages/mkinitramfs/mkinitramfs.orig

You'll notice that not every module is included, only those required to
find possible local root devices and mount them.

Perhaps something along these lines will provide enough education value
to 'kickstart' the reader and not require LFS or BLFS to get stuck in
the distro muck.

JH