[blfs-dev] wpa_supplicant

Matt Burgess matthew at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Feb 20 12:56:42 PST 2012

On Mon, 2012-02-20 at 17:31 +0000, Andrew Benton wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Feb 2012 7:37:53 -0700
> Matthew Burgess <matthew at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:
>
> > None from me.  In fact, if you want/need a wireless-newbie guinea-pig
> > I'll volunteer to proof-read and test your instructions.  I've been
> > spoiled by Windows and NetworkManager thus far, but need to get wireless
> > set up on my LFS box now.
>
> Jolly good. So no pressure then ;) I've put a draft up at
> http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/~andy/BLFS/wpa_supplicant.html
> It's at the point where I can't see what's wrong with it and it won't
> get any better until it's in the book and people start emailing the
> lists with problems/issues.

So far, I've only been able to try to sort through the dependency
hierarchy in order to get this to build.  Here are my notes:

Required Dependencies:

libnl-3

Optional dependencies:

One of openssl, gnutls or nss (looking at the Makefile, these are
optional, as it includes an internal tls lib that could be used instead.
That said, we may want to promote one of openssl/gnutls as required).

pcap (if CONFIG_L2_PACKET is defined in .config)

pcsc (if CONFIG_PCSC is defined in .config)

dbus (if CONFIG_CTRL_IFACE_DBUS or CONFIG_CTRL_IFACE_DBUS_NEW is defined
in .config. If putting those in, you probably want
CONFIG_CTRL_IFACE_DBUS_INTRO as well)

You may want to consider adding CONFIG_READLINE as well - it's installed
by LFS, so we may as well use it, right?

Do we also want to use CONFIG_IPV6?  It brings in no additional
dependencies and makes us ipv6-ready (or at least less anti-ipv6!).

Regards,

Matt.