[blfs-dev] wpa_supplicant

Matthew Burgess matthew at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Feb 20 10:04:15 PST 2012

On Mon, 20 Feb 2012 17:31:47 +0000, Andrew Benton <b3nton at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Feb 2012 7:37:53 -0700
> Matthew Burgess <matthew at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:
>
>> None from me.  In fact, if you want/need a wireless-newbie guinea-pig
>> I'll volunteer to proof-read and test your instructions.  I've been
>> spoiled by Windows and NetworkManager thus far, but need to get wireless
>> set up on my LFS box now.
>
> Jolly good. So no pressure then ;)

Hmm, I think I used the word 'now' when I should have used 'next' :)

> I've put a draft up at
> http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/~andy/BLFS/wpa_supplicant.html
> It's at the point where I can't see what's wrong with it and it won't
> get any better until it's in the book and people start emailing the
> lists with problems/issues.

Wow, that was quick!  It looks pretty darn good too, so just a couple of
minor observations for now, until I play with it properly in a couple of
hours:

1) http://hostap.epitest.fi/wpa_supplicant/ mentions that it can use either
   OpenSSL or GnuTLS.  I'll be testing against GnuTLS as I'm trying to
   avoid having 2 SSL/TLS libs in this build, if at all possible.

2) The command explanations show that the WEXT driver is used, but the
   .config file also includes the RALINK driver.  Does this require a
   separate/additional explanation?  i.e. will it use 1 or the other or
   both drivers, and under what circumstances?

3) s/Alternately/Alternatively/

Thanks!

Matt.