[blfs-dev] GNOME 3 Update.

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Sun Feb 19 15:07:05 PST 2012

On Sun, Feb 19, 2012 at 07:47:17PM +0000, Ken Moffat wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 19, 2012 at 10:17:14AM -0500, Armin K. wrote:

> > The ln -s stuff is wrong for gnome-settings-daemon in gdm instructions. Yet that is a bit ugly. Most major distros patch 3 or 4 files to look in their standard locations, thus avoid creating symlinks.

 Forgot to respond on this item - in general, BLFS assumes that
package developers know what they are doing (I'll try to suppress my
sarcasm in the context of gnome), and is much less keen to patch
files than distros are.  I'm probably the most patch-happy editor
here, but I'm happy to go with what Wayne has put.
> > gnome-applets definitely don't require hal in any means.
> >
> > also, I doubt that gtk3 applets require pygtk2 for some applet.
>  Seems unlikely, I'll needto check.

 Indeed, pygtk is not referenced in configure.  However, we don't
say that the applets *require* hal - it's optional, and the script
certainly checks to see if it exists.

ĸen